Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Lunch Break:

I'm sitting at my desk, eating some leftover BBQ Chicken pizza, so I thought I'd chat some more about what I'm up to.

Yesterday I got the missing sewing machine bobbins purchased (did y'all know they sell them pre-threaded now? I had no clue!) and was ready to get right into the Making Of the Bags when I got off work. I checked over the printed instructions a few times and measured and cut the tulle, got the machine all threaded up (thankfully I have the owner's manual because sewing is not something I do often, or even rarely, almost never is more like it) and started stitching. I stopped stitching as soon as I could see what was going on. I'm no sewer but something was very wrong with my "two seconds of sewing" results. So I tried it again . . . with the same results. I fiddled with buttons and knobs and levers and tried it again . . . with the same results.

In the instruction book, there's a part that discusses "tension" and being a knitter, tension is certainly not foreign. I had set the top stitch tension, but it seems the bottom bobbin tension was so tight as to create thread *throwup* on the bottom of the stitching. I thought my pre-wound bobbin was defective but I figured I should go read about this magical bottom bobbin tension stuff anyway. Good thing I did because once I adjusted the bottom tension I was off and sewing in no time!

After successfully sewing up two sides of my first bag, I took a break and chatted with The Mike on the phone. While I was doing that, I got a call from a 661 area code. No one or place in Bakersfield would be calling me outside of KnittingSuzanne and we rarely talk on the phone, so I was perplexed. When I finished with Mike I went to the computer to pull up ravelry - Suzanne and I co-moderate a group, and we've had a couple of moderating issues not too long ago so my first thought was that something was wrong there. As ravelry was pulling up, I checked for emails and saw Suzanne had contacted me there too. Now I was REALLY curious to know what was going on!

She was calling and emailing to ask ME what was going on . . . with ME! Yesterday, my coworker told me she got the invite to join ravelry, so I ran right to it and deleted my blog link and my personal info and also, completely inadvertently, the ability to receive PMs from anyone! Woops.

Suzanne was calling to see if I was having mental issues since it appeared I'd drawn all the blinds, shut out the lights and locked the front door of my interwebs presence.


Ravely. Without it, I'da never known KnittingSuzanne and she wouldn't be calling to check into my mental health! With it, I gotta go hide all my bloggity blog stuff from my coworker!

This is where I tell y'all how the cow ate the cabbage. Sometimes that includes my work and my town and real live people (that although I don't mention real names, this town is the size of a postage stamp and she'll know who I'm talking about!) so for now my ravelry presence is but a mere shell.

You can always access my blog by bloglines or some other rss feeder or hey, do it the old-fashioned way and "bookmark" me. I'll be here, telling it like it is.

After all that, I did finish one entire produce bag and I am tickled pink with my results!!! Pictures later. More Making Of the Bags when I get home.

Oh, oohh, ohh, I almost forgot. Yesterday I emailed three places at the Coast
(the west one, Ellen) that are advertising with job openings and within an hour one of them asked for my resume! The only bump in our very probable move back home soon is my getting a great job. I can get A job but hopefully I can get a GOOD job. Fingers crossed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go on your sewing endeavors!!!

I'm glad I got the inside link to your blog and can keep up. Some of my worky folks do stalk my blog, but I just don't give a damn!!! However, I can TOTALLY understand if you don't want your co-workers seeing your inner most feelings.....blogs were created so we could vent...about anything we want!!!

Crossing my fingers too about a great job for you in SLO!!!!

Suzanne said...

So glad to find you alive and well on your blog. Keep up the sewing, knitting and job search. Thing Great Job for you.

Suzanne said...

Thinking Great Job for you - slip of the fingers.

Anonymous said...

Prayin' for you, April......Diana