Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Talky Talky**** Update:

Since I have another husband-free week ahead, I probably won't be blogging much - I'm too busy laying around the house naked and knitting! KIDDING! I'll stop knitting on occasion. STILL KIDDING!

Like I'd stop knitting. Please. But seriously:

#1 - Sick Dog: Prescilla (although we call her 'Scilly) has something Not Good going on right now and we're not sure EXACTLY what it is but we do know it has to do with her brain. She really went downhill for a few days, two weeks ago, and then she spent most of last week at Dr. Herriott's getting checked out and looked over and a bit medicated. She's been back home since Thursday afternoon and under my intense scrutiny. It started with her heavily salivating and not being interested in her ball. Scilly . . . and her ball? They're closer than Freckles and Madden. She has an unholy love of her ball and I ain't even kidd'n ya. Thankfully, she's back in love with her ball and barking her fool head off at every opportunity. Still not 100% but extremely better than two weeks ago.

#2 - The Mike Does a 180: Mike and I do not share the same views about animals and their domesticated roles vis-a-vis human being caregivers. I believe that if you (meaning me) have a pet, then that pet is allowed to roam the home and homestead in all places that humans roam. Mike is a dead-set believer that dog = outside only. At almost 5 years of wedded union, we still clash at this crossroads. I think that losing Hunter recently and 'Scilly's current brain sickness has softened the guy's heart . . . a little, but a little is a lot for him on this issue. We were talking about 4th of July (and the inevitable deluge of legal and illegal fireworks for the ten days before and after the holiday and as I type this the illegal ones are ex-frigg'n-sploding every few minutes) and how 'Scilly gets worked up - barking and running around the yard *protecting* us constantly. The Mike said, and I like to have fell out of my seat (but we were driving and thankfully I was seatbelted and locked in) "if you give her a bath that day then she can come in". THUNK.

THUNKED right the eff over.

#3 - The Elephant In the Room: I let 'Scilly (and I used to do the same with Hunter too, back when he was alive) in the house most nights that Mike is out of town. I've been doing this from as far back as when we dated in 2002. He knows that I HAVE done it, but I think he really doesn't want to truly know-know as it happens. I'm going to always do that - every chance I get. 'Course I scour and clean the bedroom before he gets home, lol!

#4 - Divvying Up the Chores: Mike and I had the plan on Saturday to clean and get some financial housekeeping done. This guy is such a hoot! He was SO intimidated by the financial paperwork that he opted to clean most of the house while I filled out the forms. Flashbacks of our tax return preparation anyone? I do forms every day and all day long at work. Forms and paperwork are my wheelhouse. There isn't a form or questionnaire that makes my knees knock in fear. I say BRING IT! Mike? He says "please go away and I'll do anything to avoid you and gee, look over there, a shiny object and dessert!" He informed me first thing on Saturday morning that I'd be in charge of this Filling Out Of the Forms and he'd scrub toilets, vacuum (with the attachments!) every square inch and also bust out cleaning supplies he had never heard of, let alone used before . . . all this for the sole purpose of not Filling Out Of the Forms.

Eventually I stopped snickering and got down to paperwork business.

2 hours passed and I needed to stretch. I went wandering down the hallway for Mr. Clean himself. I almost buckled and 'fessed up about the ease of my part of the bargain when I saw him emerge from a bathroom with sweat streaming down his face and a scrub brush in his mitts. Then I remembered how much I HATE housework and cleaning and if I could find anyone else willing to do it? I'd hand over every shiny object and dessert in my possession with wild abandon. Yin, meet Yang. Something tells me we were meant to be.

#5 - Hello My Fabric, Hello My Sewing, Hello My Envi-ron-men-tal Conscious-nesssss!: Everyone (and by Everyone I mean Karin of Lime & Violet, Laurie and CJ - scroll about 1/2 way down) has been touting the Environmentally Friendly ways to shop.

(this topic title brought to you by I Can Has Cheezeburger)


Holy crap I laughed my ass of when I saw this the other day! Talk about a perfect caption!


After I did alot of The Forms and Mike did most of The Cleaning, he wanted to get out of the house and to hit The Big City. :eyeroll: I was only willing to hit The Big City if we could stop at a fabric/knitting/anything even remotely interesting/ store.

So we did. My shopping list was for the sole purpose of enhancing my sewing stash as it relates to green grocery shopping. SCOORRRRRRE. I had a kick-ass time wandering the fabric aisles of Joanne's and picking out my produce bag fabric and my grocery purchase fabric. Mike was tailing my every move and yet I still had a kick-ass time. We perused the sale fabric, and then locked on the cotton print fabric and throughout it all His Royal Assness kept repeating the same two sentences: "I'll NEVER take this into the grocery store EVER" and "You know the ONLY way I'll ever be seen with this is if you bring it with you and I'm there too, so you better not EVER make me take these without you. EVER." Then he got sidetracked with shiny objects and wondered if any of the fabrics had bass fish on them. Unfortunately, we never did locate fishing-themed fabric. Fortunately, he picked two cotton prints and I picked two cotton prints for me to turn into purchased groceries bags. Also I got the tulle and some appropriate cords to create produce bags as well.

I'm SO EXCITED to haul out my sewing machine and get to stitching on this stuff! When we got home from The Big City, Mike popped off and said "if I come home this weekend and you haven't done anything with this stuff? I'm throwing it all away." No lie. He uttered those very words. Has he 1) not met me and 2) taken a good look at all the bass fishing lures he's bought and not used in a year? Let's revisit number 1. I'll tell him how the cow ate the cabbage in a New York minute.

#6 - We swung by Tokyo Gardens while visiting The Big City and Yum Dee A Licious like we remembered. They originally sat us near the front door and did the customary "is this alright?" query. I glanced around and saw tables full of . . . is there a better way of saying this? Little Kids. Free-range sproglets. Them Things enjoying all the running around carpeted areas that their parents assumed were 'safe zones' in restaurants. No Thank You and Can We Please Be Reseated? Our hostess was kind and sweet and realized we (I) weren't about the Free Range Sproglets. She took us past the main dining room and through the bar area into our own little niche. Cute as all get out! There were only two booths back there (and no one else ever got seated). We enjoyed views of one of the Teppanyaki (sp?) rooms and the bar area ***. The other awesome thing where we were sitting was a floor pool right next to us. The owner (? not 100% sure, but a good guess) even fed them while we were eating. It was awesome! Until I looked back at my plate of raw fish and then back at the Koi and then back at my raw fish. Kinda creeped me out, I have to admit. Still ate the food though! It was a perfect meal.

On a completely unrelated-to-sushi note:

#7 - SOCKS SUCK: Truthfully, I suck. Not just at socks but at complicated knitting in general. Right now I'm sucking at knitting socks. My beautiful Noro socks . . . I'm past the heel turn and back into noodling through the patterned part. I'm just not happy with it though. I'm pretty sure I'll be ripping that bad boy back to (at least) the completed heel turn. If I do that, then really, I'm very tempted to rip the ENTIRE thing out and start over. I don't like the color change at the ribbed cuff and it's going to continue to irk me if I don't fix it. It's not like I've completed three-fourths of a sweater and hate it. It's just a sock, thank goodness.

And I really really want to make my idea that I've started so I *will* pick it right back up and start again. Stop laughing! I will! *

#8 - Socks don't suck, but my knitting does: My 3/4ths done BEAUTIFUL
HazelKnits yarn sock got frogged back almost to the heel turn. 'Member? You 'member** when I wrote that one of my personal sock preferences is another rib section at the ball of the foot? Loves me that slightly snuggy feel. Unfortunately, I started that ribby section too far down past the heel and even then, it just didn't look right. Suzanne advised that I go down two needle sizes to get the ribbing I want, so a'frogging I went.

Seriously people. Wendee's yarn (HazelKnits) is SO freak'n gorgeous that even the pile of frog was a delight to gaze upon. And soft, oh my good gravy I think part of it's content is melted butter.

Butter or not, I'm dating two socks that I have issues with. It's not them, it's me, but these issues have caused me break up with The Making of Socks. Splitsville. I know I'll let The Making of Socks back in pretty soon, but right now I'm wallowing in the freedom away from The Making of Socks. The Making of Socks has been hanging around alot lately, carving space for themselves in my abode and getting all comfy. They even cleared out a drawer (entire shelf) and started bringing their *stuff* over. Yarns, needles, fresh boxers, patterns, toothbrush . . . I had to put a stop to it and tell The Making of Socks that we need a break.

* Suzanne has heard my cry for sock help and she's going to come visit me Saturday to either teach me the "short row heel" or to hold my hair back while I throw up in sadness . . . cuz, you know . . . that's what friends do for each other.

** The Mike says this all. the. time. now. All the time people. He's a huge fan of
the George Lopez show and George utters this phrase frequently. Wonder what Mike loves so much about this show? I got two reasons and both belong to this woman !

*** I swear on my unbought yarn's life that I saw our current Deputy City Manager, Mr. John Lollis hanging out at the bar with a group of cougars and not a one of them looked like the wife I saw him with a few months ago . . . just say'n . . .

As an aside: Pretty soon I'll explain why I ditched all my personal info over on ravelry.com today (06/24). Suzanne found me In Real Life this evening and I swore to her (because it's true) that I'm peachy-keen and not in the midst of shuffling off my mortal coil. I love my friends so much!! Thank you guys for the care and concern.

**** Didn't I warn you this one was all about the Talky Talky?


2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Glad you are acting like your normal self, I was worried there for a second.

Jollygreen said...

Thanks for updating!! I was worried. I emailed you about getting together this weekend to knit if your free.

Sounds like you had a good time in the big city of Visalia! LOVE Tokyo Gardens, I know the exact table your talking about....it's the best.

Sorry to hear about your sock sadness......this is just a phase and it too shall soon pass, don't worry. I think we all go through tough knitting times. I have lost my mojo on MANY occasion.