Friday, June 20, 2008

Push It Real Good:

I'm at a crossroads of sorts.

Thank you ALL for the nicest things I've heard/read about something I've knitted in a super-duper long time!

If I knew what I was doing on these socks, then all this praise would probably swell my head.

But I don't.

Know what I'm doing.

On these socks.

I just looked up a pattern repeat and started knitting with an idea in my head.

Now I'm past the heel turn and kinda/sorta/really scared to proceed.

People. This is why I don't do socks with REAL patterns! I love so many patterned socks but I get to the jumping off point, look over the precipice (sp?) and sit my ass down in fear.

That's where I am on these puppies.

Suzanne (and you know who she is on ravelry by now I'm sure) passed on some stranded colorwork info at our every-other-Thursday Visalia group last night . . . which I *get* on an intellectual level, but I haven't ever personally fleshed out in my own knitting.

I know you guys all want me to succeed and when you read this you'll all get together to . . . push my ass over the Ledge of Fear. Out of love and knowledge and maybe-a-little-part-to-snicker (and you know I'd so do the same for y'all if the roles were reversed!)

This decades-old tough facade is melting in the face of socks!

Socks, People! Plain 'ol wear on your feet socks.

I'm so embarrassed, but apparently not embarrassed enough to talk about it.

I really-really want to rock these socks.

If I can noodle through the gusset and pattern repeats everywhere else, I'll be the first to shout about it. If I can't? I'll be trying to change the subject with info about my sick dog, my handsome (yet loud as fuck) husband, and any one of our 8 cats (6 ours and two abandoned! That's a story and a half unto itself, believeyoume).

See you 'gators later.

4 comments:

Ellen Bloom said...

Hi,
I'm very sock challenged. If I were attempting that awesome pattern, I'd probably just go with a solid color for the heel, then pick up the pattern once I continued. Good luck!

Suzanne said...

At this point I would put the sock on circular needles - (just so it is flexible) and try it on to make sure it goes over your heel. If that works good, you can put it back on the double points and finish the heel flap if it is not done yet. Since you worked a heel flap in the solid color - when you come around to pick up the gussets, you can continue in the solid color. Then when you get to the same place where you left off the second color when doing the cuff - pick up your second color again and then continue in your pattern over the instep and do a *k1 color 1, k1 color 2*, repeat over the sole, when you get to the toe - work the k1, k1 switching colors over the toe top and bottom and into decreases etc.

Clear as mud?

Suzanne said...

Second version of toe - to make the toe match the heel, you can do the toe stitches in one color only - either way, will work good.

KnittingBlueContent said...

CLEAR AS MUD?

Holy Schnikes Woman! I'm just now reading your comment and it's waaay past my eff-up point.

Darn, drats and GoodGodeff'nDamnIt.

I'm way past the heel colorchange with good results. My results? Just So Wrong and I'm Sick About It and probably I should just lay the knitting down while I regroup.

Thank BeeJebuz for our WIPS - projects that we finally have some perspective on. I *think* lol!

Grrr on the lot of it!