Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A Moment of Silence:

It has just been reported that Jerry Reed has died.

Man.

He's my all-time favorite country singer and I just loved him in Smokey & the Bandit.

For those that don't know him, he sang the theme song to that movie, and several other popular songs . . . "she got the goldmine and I got the shaft". Classic lyrics in that one.

You can listen to some of his most popular songs here.

I suggest "When you're hot, you're hot", "Amos Moses", "Lord Mr. Ford" and for a good laugh "The Bird". (yes, that's Jerry singing as Willie Nelson and George Jones!)

It's a sad day. The world just lost it's swing'n little guitar man.

4 comments:

Ellen Bloom said...

JR was one of my faves too.
Years and years ago...probably 20 or more, I was in Laughlin, NV with my parents (gag). I had to get away from them, so I ducked into a show starring Jerry Reed. There were maybe 15 people in the audience. It was so sad to see so few people listening to this great singer/songwriter and player. He didn't have a band, it was just Jerry and his guitar on stage. Since there were so few people, he asked for requests from the audience. I think I asked for "Eastbound and Down." He gladly complied and was happy that someone knew about one of his hits. He was truly a star! I will miss him.

Annette said...

I'm not familiar with Jerry Reed, but I always get sad when I hear that someone has died, whether I knew them or not.

I wanted to find you and thank you for commenting on my blog. :) That dream was such a trip, I had to post about it first thing in the morning so I wouldn't forget any details.

Anonymous said...

Eastbound and down, loaded up and truckin........This is very sad news!! I grew up on JR.....I think one of my very first cassette tapes was one of his....... :(

KnittingBlueContent said...

It's nice to know that my friends like Jerry Reed's music as well.

Listening to his music while driving back from Visalia with my In-Laws is a very fond memory and one that makes me love JR even more.

If you know my husband, than the lyrics "eat up his weight in groceries" (from Amos Moses) hits a personal note with me, lol.

I'm still sad today. A good man and a great singer has left us.