Thursday, May 29, 2008

When the Cat's Away:

The Mike is currently at the Coast (the Pacific Ocean one Ellen) working. He left Monday afternoon and will be returning Friday late afternoon in time for our weekly Friday Night Dinner With Our Fisherfriends. YAY!

Yay he's gone for a while and Yay he'll be back in a few days! I miss him (and him me) when we're apart, but I so do love my *all by my onesies* time. That's probably from having been on my own most of my life and marrying later in life (if mid-thirties is considered 'later' anymore . . . ).

Here are some of the highlights of Liv'n La Vida Solo:

Coming straight home from work without having to hit the grocery store.

Not making dinner or even having to DISCUSS dinner at all.

Picking up after just myself.

Zippy T.V.! I haven't even watched the news. I did make it a point to watch
Heather's appearance (and her Monkey Socks!) Monday on Jeopardy, but that's it.

Peace and quiet. Lemme say that again . . . peace. and friggin quiet. Shhh. You hear that? Exactly! Nutt'n.

Listening to podcasts without headphones on and laughing right out loud.

Letting the dog sleep in the bed every night. The same dog that isn't even allowed in the house, per The Mike's weird domesticated canine rules. 'Scilly loves it when The Mike leaves town too, lol.

The drawbacks to not having The Mike around:

If a bug appears? *shudder* Luckily no disgusting creepy crawlies really ever show themselves, but it COULD happen.

I have to get my own car out of the garage and finalize the house before I leave for work. Yes, I know I'm spoiled.

Not having coffee in the morning since I'm one of those 'get out of bed at the last freak'n moment possible to still get ready and get to work on time' people. Lazy? Me? Oh, you bet'cha!

Being the only one who has to deal with all the different animals and all their different needs alone. For example . . .

Shadow wants in at night but about 5am she starts meow-growling to be let out. Mike's the morning person, not me. Grrr. This morning I just kicked her out of the bedroom at that hour and dealt with her when it was time for ME to get up - not HER.

All the cats are used to being fed around 6am every day (again with The Mike's schedule and not mine) and have no problem letting anyone within their whining range know that it is TIME TO EAT. NOW.

'Scilly is used to playing ball/eating around 4pm and by the time I get home just after 5pm she's beside herself with excitement. I have no problem hanging out and playing with her, but it definately has to be immediately or it drives her bonkers and that's not fair.

Blue (the grey cat) wants in (and out, and in and out and in and out and you get the idea) of the garage all evening long. Mike and I usually tag-team this job but he's not here. The knitting gets set down twice as much as usual because of this.

Is it wrong that I'm looking forward to his return this Friday because I know he'll be heading West again on Sunday and I'll get another week all to my onesies (plus the six cats and the dog and the podcasts and the ever-present knitting and the non-dinner-planning angst)?

During all this peaceful knitting downtime I've been daydreaming about actually knitting one or two items for submission into the county fair. Personally, I'm opposed to most everything Fair. Carny food, decrepit rides, penned up animals in staggering heat all day and night, anything even remotely rodeo-like and the crass Made In Taiwan crap that is now sold in the arts & crafts buildings.

Here's the thing though . . . where else is there an opportunity to do my craft and get judged on it? Carny Central, that's where!

I'm thinking of doing one lace project and one pair of socks. My queue on ravelry has exploded because of this idea floating around in my pea brain.

I have 16 lacy choices available that I already have everything needed to start - skill level, needles, yarn, pattern. Now it's time to pick.

You can go look here at what I've queued and your comments and responses and ideas are most welcome! What, as a fellow knitter/crocheter, do you guys think would be entry-worthy?

And all you lurkers? Speak up please!

I'm outta here for now - gotta get me some more relaxing Home Alone time in, lol.

4 comments:

Ellen Bloom said...

You're soooo lucky! My husband NEVER goes anywhere! I think I may just have to take a mini-vacation all by myself to get away from his grating electric guitar (during TV watching!) and his incessant use of power tools. Ok, OK...he's adorable and wonderful and I'd miss if he went away for a long time, but 2-4 days would be lovely! Have fun!

Anonymous said...

I so understand the alone without husband thing. I like my solo time, but then again miss Jim lots when he is gone......I guess absence makes the heart grow fonder....or some shit like that.

I gotta go check out your gueue for your possible fair entrances. I haven't decided what I want to enter......perhaps a pair of socks and a sweater or something.

Suzanne said...

I think the alone time is why I like to work 12 hour shifts - then I get to be home during the week days when it is all quite.

As far as what to knit for the fair - let me look at your choices for a bit - of course I am not from Tulare County and don't have a clue as to what other people are entering - but I will give you my two cents worth of advice after I check out your choices.

Suzanne said...

Ok--- after looking at your choices - I pick The Seascape Shawl -- I think it would be fun to knit, and it has the sea elements that will remind you of the coast as you knit it. I also like [this](http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/shetland-triangle) one which is not on your list. Just a personal favorite, I like the way the pattern makes the yarn look.