Monday, July 7, 2008

Nesting:

Hiya all!

I'm finally all rested up from Saturday's big move. I crashed hard on Sunday, with a 3+ hour nap and still slept hard Sunday night as well.

Lately, I've been on a "homestead" kick in the knitting department. I finished the checkerboard cat dish towel but still need to weave in the ends. One of the downsides of packing and having most of your stuff 2.5 hours away is not having what you need at your fingertips. I made a pit stop at Town & Country today and picked up another package of those big-eyed weaving-in-ends needles. The few needles I still have hanging around are too small to get the cotton yarn through the eye.

Now I'm in the midst of a Log Cabin-inspired kitchen rug, using the colors from my dinner plates. I say "Log Cabin-inspired" because although I do own the Mason Dixon knitting book and read through almost all of it as soon as I bought it . . . I apparently packed it with most of my knitting magazines and the box is now in San Luis Obispo. I've read a few notes on the pattern via people on ravelry so I'm feeling good that I have the idea down. I'm really pleased with it so far, although now that I've looked at my plates again tonight, I realize the blue yarn I picked is lighter than the blue on my dishes. Oh well. My dishes have four primary colors - blue, green, yellow and orange. I started with a yellow center and then followed with green, orange and then blue on the sides of the yellow center . . . 'scept then I still had a yellow center side left over and was loathe to knit more yellow onto it. My kitchen has yellow walls, white cabinets and there is black in the granite countertops. After much consideration, I elected to make white the fifth color but I'm using white the least. White in a rug isn't the smartest idea in my house, but because it's cotton I know it'll stand up in the wash. Plus, I'ma yell at Mike every time he stands on it with shoes on, lol!

From what Mike's told me, the only carpeting in the house is in the three bedrooms. I have plans to eat up alot of my cotton stash for the kitchen and bathroom floors and alot of my superwash wool for the living room floors - maybe even some of my Cascade 220 since I can make it big and felt it down . . . but we'll see.

Another plan I have is to make lace curtains for a few of the windows - for sure the kitchen window right now. Since I haven't seen the house for myself, the window situation is still unknown at this point. I do know that the house is on a slight hill, surrounded by large trees all the way around, so there is privacy just from that alone, which is why I'm okay with lace curtains for a few of the windows.

At the house we're leaving, there really wasn't much need for handknit items outside of some dishrags and washcloths. At our old house at the Coast, I'da knit alot of this stuff, but I didn't know from knitting back then! Now, it's all coming together for the new house - lots of knitting experience and ideas and an almost bottomless stash. It's like the perfect storm almost :grin:

On the work front, the new chick starts tomorrow afternoon but can only come in from 4pm to 6pm these next two weeks. Maybe she can do a full day on the 17th or 18th but isn't sure, and that's after my final day of the 16th. My boss knows he needs to decide if he wants me to work after that Wednesday or not. I'm offering to stick around until the 18th, but THAT'S IT. After today's temperature of about 110 degrees, I want the hell out of here and to get to my hometown's moderate temperatures STAT.

Illegal fireworks are still going off around here (July freak'n seventh, people!) and it's only causing me to want to leave ASAP.

Sorry no pictures posted, although I have been taking a few here and there. My house is a disaster zone and y'all do NOT want to see what the floor under my fridge looked like when we moved it. YUCK. I will be pulling that baby out to clean under on a monthly basis from here on out. If nothing else, we've discovered that the tiny space under the fridge is where Madden sends all her toys to die - like the 9 golf ball tees she's stolen and some jingle-bell balls and a fuzzy mouse. It was like a cat toy graveyard under there! Oh, and Freckles did finally come out of the couch that night, but she's been very clingy since Saturday night. Tonight she's doing alot better and hasn't had to lay up against me . . . the heat may have something to do with that too, lol.

For the next few days, I get a two hour lunch (to make up for the extra hour I'll be working with the new girl in the evenings) so one of my plans is to take my computer to the local Main Street coffee shop and do some uploading of pictures for flickr and for ravelry once or twice this week.

It's off to bed for now. Happy knitting y'all, and I'll see and talk with you guys soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We just returned from the coast and I gotta say...I'm so jealous of you!! The weather was perfect....cool and slightly cloudy.

Seriously, I'm glad to hear your happy about moving back home.....sounds like your new house is going to be fabulous!!! The fact you want to knit for your new place makes me smile...that means your happy!!!

I visited Yarns at the Adobe and I think you should be out on that back patio everyday you can sitting and knitting.....I may even some join you!!