Thursday, July 3, 2008

Penultimate:

All three yards are watered down, with sprinklers going in the back and front yards, at the ready.

The living room has been barricaded to keep the dog away from the cats. *Note to self: Look into that whole "baby gate" concept!*

I know where the two outside cats are, for when it gets dark, and the dog is already at the back slider waiting for the starting gate.

Tonight is the kick-off to the absolute worst holiday celebration I've ever experienced. Tomorrow night is going to be akin to a mid-east war zone, based on the last three years of experience living in P'Hell.

If I wasn't so nervous about my house catching fire, or my animals going stark raving mad with fear, I really would enjoy the neighborhood fireworks shows - well, the illegal ones*, which are rampant in the "nicer" neighborhoods. I guess because those are the people that can afford to spend the hundreds and thousands of dollars it takes to rival the Pasadena Rose Bowl show, andIain'tevenkidd'nya. The Corcoran prison corrections officers, and the local law enforcement officers not on duty.

For the last three years, the majority come from the same five locations. I've invited my Mayor and a few city council members, as well as the Chief of Police and the City Fire Chief to all come hang out on my front yard to see for themselves, and I even offered to provide the iced tea! Not a one of them has ever taken me up on it.

So, tonight I'm hunkered down with knitting, the newest Vanity Fair, The Secret Garden (SCORE at the grocery store tonight!!) and the intronets for company.

Tomorrow is wall-to-wall packing and organizing and getting ready for The Big Move on Saturday. I'm not moving yet - just my stuff. Mike's coming with some friends from the coast, and a few friends from here will be chipping in and then Saturday night it'll just be me, several (okay, six. WHATEVER! Don't judge.) cats and a dog, plus their stuff and a mattress on the floor for me. I'll keep a few of the necessities on hand - some yarn, a plate, a glass, a few knitting needles and some more yarn, my computer, some clothes, and of course some additional yarn. Like y'all wouldn't do the same in similar circumstances. I'm here until I have a replacement at work and I've had a chance to train her some. FINGERS CROSSED that won't go past the 16th of this month, but we'll see.

Hopefully, everything will be a-okay here this evening, and then we'll just deal with tomorrow night when it comes.

On the needles: Completely mindless cotton checkerboard square in yellow/cream/orange to become a mat for under the cat's food bowls in my [Don Pardo] NEW YELLOW KITCHEN! [/Don Pardo]. I've wanted a yellow kitchen for over five years now, and guess what's waiting for me when I move back home? Ayup!

Reporting from The Silver Lining, this is Knitting Blue Content for WKRP :grin:

*that shitty firework stuff people buy at the booths around town? Hate them with a fiery red-hot passion. They smoke like crazy, make gawdawful high-pitched whiny screams and generally have zero redeeming value whatsoever. I personally will NEVER darken the doorway or give to the cause for any organization that sells fireworks out of those booths. Ever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so on the same page with you with this whole 4th of July thing. My animals go ape shit and we have to stay home every year to protect them. My biggest fear is someone digging out and running away, so I lock everyone inside and we all go out to take pee pee breaks during the quiet times (well, they pee outside, not me)

Your letting Mike move your stash!!!??? Very trusting of you. Why don't you let him move your mattress to the new place and just use the yarn as your bed.......what joy that would be!!!!

I'm sending good vibes your way that everything works out the way you want with moving and your job and everything else!!