Monday, July 14, 2008

So You Don't Have To:

Today (so far at least) has been spent in front of my computer, scrolling through the hundreds of things to do in San Luis Obispo County.

Hell, it may be thousands at this point!

I've saved several that interest me - lots of outdoor art and concert events in and around SLO town.

Here's something I found though, and thought somebody else may find it as equally interesting:

Rob Appell. He's a surfer and a quilt maker. Ayup. You read that right. I am IN LOVE with his quilts, lemmetellya.







How awesome are those babies?

His mom owns The Cotton Ball in Morro Bay so it's a natural fit - surfing and quilting.

He even wrote a book. Wanna see it? Here it is:



He works at the shop so you can pick up your book there, and even get it signed by him.

Another great find I just happened upon:

Cinema Under the Stars - Pismo Beach (well, actually, it's Shell Beach)

Now showing: Hitch. Bring your blankets and sweatshirts out to the bluffs at Dolphin Bay at sunset. Concessions available for a small fee. Dinner and a movie packages also available. Call for more details

Date: August 20, 2008
Time: Sunset
Location: Dolphin Bay Resort & Spa
Event Address: 2727 Shell Beach Road
Event City: Shell Beach
Parking: Complimentary
Phone: 805.773.8900
Admission: Complimentary
Visit Website

(and from their website:)

Cinema Under the Stars
1st and 3rd Wednesdays throughout Summer
Enjoy a night under the stars watching some of the best movies from across the decades. Admission is free and concessions are available for a small price.


Seems the (huge-mongous monstrosity that is) Dolphin Cove Resort shows movies for free during the summer. Pretty damn cool. While I don't think the movie "Hitch" is any great cinematic masterpiece, I do love me Will Smith, and I like Kevin James too, so that's where I'll be August 20th . . . under the stars and at the beach, with a sweatshirt on and probably a newly knitted lap blanket to keep me toasty.

I dunno where The Mike will be (KIDDING! He'll probably be down the road at his brother's, bar-b-queing). I'd be surprised if he went to something like this.

And my last "find of the day" for ya:

Pallet to Palate.

Please join us at The Cliffs Resort in Shell Beach for our three main events.
Each events supports local food, local farmers, local chefs and helps the
Food Bank coalition of San Luis Obispo County.

Sunday, August 17, 2008
Pallet to Palate “Conference”, 12:30pm-3pm
Cooking Demonstration/Lunch Using local produce - by Gregg Wangard and 3 local farmers
Conference – 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm
Located in the ballroom at The Cliffs Resort
National Speaker Chef Ann Cooper
Renegade lunch lady who is working to transform our children’s school cafeterias to provide delicious, healthy food.
For more information on Chef Ann Cooper, please visit http://www.lunchlessons.org/
$15.00

Sunday, August 17, 2008
Pallet to Palate Fundraiser/Gala Dinner – Reception 5:00 pm, Dinner 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm
5 course / 5 chefs / 5 farmers / 5 wineries
Each course will be prepared by a different farmer and chef, them paired with a local wine
At Marisol Restaurant
Live guitar music
$60 Inclusive

Monday, August 18, 2008
Pallet to Palate featured Event – Farmer, Chef Reception & Tasting - 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm
Farmer’s market type setting on the lawn overlooking the ocean
25 Local chefs and farmers collaborate delicious samples
Wine tasting
Silent auction/fundraiser
Live Music and a full, no-host bar
$25

I think I'm going to go to the Saturday conference and the Monday Farmer's Market.

MAN I LOVE MY UPCOMING TEMPORARY UNEMPLOYMENT! Love love LOVE it!

There ya go. I shall continue surfing the interwebs for all that is interesting and/or unusual, so you don't have to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you even been into the Cotton Ball? It's my all time favorite fabric store. They have TONS of great fabric and a little bit of yarn.....mostly lion brand, but hey, I go for the fabric. Rob is often there and you would never peg him as a quilter....his stuff is AMAZING!! There are several of his quilts hanging in the store and he has kits available too.