Wednesday, April 23, 2008

But Wait! There's More:

Completely unrelated to knitting, but I still wanted to relay this:

Today (a regular work day) was a GREAT day!

It's National Professional Assistant's Day or some such shit (the old non-politically correct Secretary's Day).

At my old job, the secretary got flowers/balloons from the owner, and the rest of us would buy her lunch or do something nice. Myself, I'm not a secretary so I give instead of receive.

This job? It's so male dominated that every one of us 'Corporate Office' employees are considered secretaries. It cracks me up that they don't know the white-collar difference between the *actual* secretary, the Human Resources/Accounts Payable person, the Accounts Receivables person and me - the person that does all the high-end accounting/financial stuff.

Normally, I get my hackles up when someone refers to me as 'the secretary'. I worked long and hard to move up the corporate ladder and it's been 20 years since my secretary days.

Today though, I sat back and enjoyed the spoils!

When I got in this morning, there was a box of chocolates and a card on my desk - from one of the General Managers. He thanked me (and the other three in their cards too) for doing a great job and (more importantly) for putting up with all of them.

A few hours later, the BIG BOSS (read Owner) informed us that A) he was leaving at noon and wouldn't return until Monday and B) to go to his restaurant for lunch on him.

As the four of us sashayed on out of there for lunch, he handed us the keys to one of the work vehicles and told us our 'chariot' awaited. He'd had it detailed!

We drove on up to the restaurant, and sat down to a plate of shrimp appetizers (that he had pre-planned). After we had ordered, and were chatting along, he (the BIG BOSS HIMSELF) showed up and *hand to heart* delivered our plates to our table himself.

That? That shit just never happens.

All of us have eaten up there plenty of times and when the owner is there (which is often), he is being served - not serving others.

I like to have fell outta my chair.

Us gals noshed and gabbed and had a relaxing time and enjoyed the special moment.

Then the boss came back and handed all four of us individual gift certificates. He said that although sales are down, he is very happy with the office staff. He should be, and my most satisfied moment of the entire day was hearing him say that.

He left to go where he was going and we wandered on back to work.

The day could've ended then and I'd be happy - but it didn't end there.

In the early afternoon, one of our store's salemen came avisiting and put a single rose in a vase on each of our desks. We wondered "what the heck?". Come to find out these roses were from the saleman. His 'thank you' to us.

Until there is a National Bookkeepers Day, I'ma soak up the love shown on Secretary's Day. It's nice to be appreciated - even for a day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Aww-ww. No one deserves it more than you, April. Congratulations!...Diana

Anonymous said...

SCORE!! I'da kept my mouth shut too and just pretended to be a secretary for the perks of the day.