Monday, April 7, 2008

A Sponge-Worthy Update, sans pictures:

Aren't those the worst updates ever?

I totally agree.

When you knit your own stuff, for your own enjoyment and edification, pictures aren't necessary.

Pictures really kick butt when you either 1) want to see what someone else is doing or 2) want show what you've accomplished.

Here's the deal.

I've taken WIP pictures of both projects I finally finished tonight. Surprisingly, each one turned out different than I'd anticipated.

First up: This kookie crazy mohair scarf that I'd had as a WIP for quite a while. It is beautiful in its rainbow halo glow. The colors are so true and the long hairs of the yarn give it an ethereal glow. I figured it would felt down to a subtle rainbow collage and be even thicker than what I had knitted.

Second up: Lisa Souza's scrum-dee-licious merino hand-dyed from 2006 (discontinued and BOOO for that) knitted into a tube to become a wine bottle cozy.

The rainbow scarf? Didn't even BEGIN to felt. Not at all and not even kinda-sorta. My ass is lucky that it survived the two washings with a tennis ball and pair of The Mike's jean shorts intact. Weirdly, it not only survived . . . but is still beautiful in it's rainbow halo glow.

The wine cozy? Felted it's ASS OFF. In the back of my mind I doubted that I 1) had the right yarn label, 2) Everyone else with the yarn had the right label, 3) Would ever felt at all.

It felted beautifully.

So, both those WIPS are off the needles and done. No pictures (yet, and I suck for that).

Here's why though. I immediately threw Lisa's yarn back onto size 3 dpns to make socks for ME. No time for pictures, people! There is sock knitting to be done.

The ME that knits and appreciates tactile . . . uhm . . . satisfaction. And by "tacticle satisfaction" y'all know what I really mean. YUMMMM.

Who else (don't raise your hands KnittingSuzanne and Jollyewe and EllenBloom and HollyB and ZubieJen) could I knit 100% merino feltable wool socks for, that would take the care needed to appreciate them?

Lisa Souza' yarn? Dare I say it?

Only for the "sponge-worthy"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about giving someone feltable socks.......I haven't had the nerve to do this yet. I'm the only one who I've deemed "sponge worthy" for such a responsibility.......Therefore, I think you should keep them for yourself!!!

Oh and WE WANT PICTURES!!!!!! hehe

Suzanne said...

Personally I would never turn down hand knit socks, even if they are hand wash.

Isn't it interesting that most knitters do not receive hand knitted gifts? I have never been the lucky recipient of a hand knitted gift. This does not mean you need to make a pair for me - just making the observation. I also have to say that if you did make them for me, I would absolutely love them to death.
And not just for the yarn but because a friend made them for me.

Ellen Bloom said...

My b-day is 7/20...plenty of time to whip up a pair of size 9 ladies socks! Don't worry about a fancy pattern, self-striping is just fine in plain ol' stockinet stitch. I'm happy to handwash socks.

Lately, my Knitgrrlz and I have been exchanging handmade gifts. We are the ones who really appreciate them!!!!

Jen said...

Don't worry about me, while I would thoroughly enjoy your socks and all the hard work you put into them, I'd rather not have feltable socks. I'm bad enough at getting laundry done and put away that I'm sure they'd end up in the regular loads (my kids would probably be "helping" - the only time in their lives they ever thought to do such a thing), and then I'd have to give them to the baby.

What a waste. He hates socks.