Sunday, August 10, 2008

Funny Man:

This evening, The Mike and I have been watching the Olympic coverage. We *finally* have television, albeit only one channel - NBC. I'll tell y'all the story of why another day.

So anywho, we watched Michael Phelps nail his first '08 gold medal, as well as women's volleyball, men's gymnastics and even some female swimming events tonight.

At one point, there was an interview with the three American women that swept the top three spots in Fencing.

As we're listening and watching, Mike turns to me and asks "What is fencing? Is that like sword fighting?", to which I replied "Uhhh, yeah. If you're a PIRATE!"

Who the heck has never heard of and/or seen the sport of fencing? EVER? In their thirty-eight years of life on this planet (not counting just discovered Amazon tribes of course).

He cracks me up even when he's not trying to be funny.

In Ravelympic news, the progress on my socks has been sloooooooooow. Sadly so.

Friday I jumped in the frog pond twice, and that was just on the first half of the first repeat of the pattern.

After that though, I think I've hit my stride. In no way do I consider what I'm doing 'athletic' or 'noteworthy' but even so I must say I really got a boost of confidence and adreneline (sp?) from watching interviews and the competition with Michael Phelps tonight.

What a winner that guy is - in personality, in dedication, in belief, in hard work and in youth. A class act guy.

As I keep knitting on my sock, I think about alot of things. How far I've come as a knitter, how afraid I let myself be of so many techniques, how inspired I am by people I've met and people I follow, how I want to show my finished socks to Suzanne and Carolyn because I've challenged myself to make something proudworthy (is that a word or a made up-ism?) and they both will be honest in their praise and their critiques.

At the beginning of the ravelympics, I wasn't thinking of The. Olympics. - just knitting some stuff in the time frame alloted. Now I'm starting to think about the dedication and commitment that make up the athletes involved in the events and what I can take from their goals and accomplishments.

Me finishing these socks will be my personal gold medal in knitting. A real challenge for me and when completed, I know I'm going to dance around kissing them and shouting "look what I can do!"

No comments: