Thursday, August 14, 2008

I Don't Know What I Think:

This morning, I was reading the online version of my local newspaper and clicked on this article.

The name and the face weren't familiar but the information "Arroyo Grande High graduate" and "the age of 40" got me thinking. I'm about to be 40 and also an A.G.H.S. graduate.

I pulled out one of my yearbooks and flipped to the alphabetical listing in the back.

von Ruden, Nicole.

Ayup. She's there.

She was a year ahead of me and was apparently very active in school. She's in 5 pictures for each of the two yearbooks I have ('83 and '84). She was tester #23 for a Pepsi Challenge somethingorother at school, as well as being a member of the ski club, cross-country team, the press club and the dive team.

I don't remember her, and I'm pretty confident I didn't know her personally, but there's a 101% chance that I know many people that knew her well. My very first boyfriend (for three years, Mr. Allen Lee Shewmaker for those of you locals reading this, lol) was in her grade, and several people she's pictured with I knew one way or another.

Accidental deaths? I kinda get that. It's an accident and accidents happen.

This is a little more than I'm wanting to contemplate at the moment. Just up and dying from a malfunction of your body.

1 comment:

Danni said...

That is totally a bummer. But as I read your post I started to think of something totally in the opposite direction...2 or so weeks and you've even upacked old yearbooks, good progress.