Friday, October 5, 2007

Is it because I'm left-handed?:

I finished the band on the Coronet hat from knitty.com the other night, and last night I did all the picking up stitches no problem. No problem indeedy. I knit in the round . . . just going 'round 'n 'round when it finally hit me.

I'm going the goddamn wrong direction again. Instead of knitting in the direction that makes my stockinette the right side, it's the frigg'n wrong side.

This happens to me all the time. I never realized it until months ago when I taught my best friend how to make socks. I had her sit in front of me, facing the same direction as me, with the knitting in front of us, so she could see the knitting from my perspective. Yet it made zero sense to her. She kept saying I was knitting the 'wrong direction'. WTF? Wrong direction? Since she taught me to knit originally, I figured she knew more than me on things Knitterly.

Well, I've come to realize it's not so much the 'wrong direction' but maybe the 'left-handed' way of doing things that I'm naturally wired for.

To frog or not to frog . . . that's where I'm at with this hat.

1) Frog and go the conventional (read, the way the hat was originally intended) way.

2) Leave it the way it is and pretend it was on purpose like I've seen this hat made on ravelry (where the braided band is 'flipped' but still right side out).

3) Leave it the way it is because that's the way I made it, even though no one ELSE gives a rat's ass.

Pretty sure I'm gonna pick #3.

Now fingers crossed that I have enough yardage in the contrasting yarn. It's roughly 109 yards and that should be enough for a hat top I figure.

Swatching? Measuring? I never do that shit. Whatever my yarn is gonna 'tell me' in a swatch? I don't know how to read it anyway, lol!

Luckily, I have a freakishly small head*, so if it doesn't fit any intended giftee then I gets to keep it for myself.

*I once went snowmobiling at Zephyr Cove at Lake Tahoe, and the only helmets that fit had TT painted across the back. Come to find out, TT stood for Tiny Tot or some such shit. I was like 24! My head was past the 'growing stage'! That's how small my head is. Surprising really, given how big my brain must be. So big I can't even knit the in the right damn direction, apparently.


(proof I can do *something* right!)

No comments: