Friday, January 11, 2008

24 Down, 19 To Go:

Today was my 'three week' checkup with the Ortho doctor.

If you've never broken your foot before (like me), and you think that maybe your bones have knit together super quick-like (like I did), and you're kinda hoping that today is the day you'll be told that the 'ol crutches and Moon Boot are but a blip in your rearview (as I'd been hoping) . . . ?

Not so much.

But you, like I, did not jump in a lake or off a bridge with that crappy news because it was followed by Real News that you (and I) can live by.

We're over the half-way point in healing terms, my friend. It's not alot, but it's definately okay.

I got a few things clarified and a few "Atta Girl's" that I don't get at home.

Clarifications:

Black and blue toes are not an indication of ripped blood vessels in the toe area. According to Dr. Bones, it's natural for the blood to pool in a lower area. He cited someone fracturing their shoulder and then experiencing bruised hands. All together now . . . EWWW, GROSS!

I broke my (next to baby) toe on the other foot the other day. Yeah. Really. I'm a danger to myself, and myself, it seems. I was trying to skootch between my dining table and the wall, in order to fix the blinds so they were 1) closed and 2) up enough to allow the cats access to their ledge without screwing up said blinds, and *KERPLOW!* I stubbed my toe on my own damn crutch.

Given the frequency and velocity in which I have stubbed my toes over these 39 years, I've probably broken them all at one time or another :chagrin:

Broken toes take three weeks to heal, per Dr. Bones. I'ma heal faster from my broken toe than my broken foot. Hi Irony! Thanks for stopping by. I'd kick yer ass, but I seem to be out of working lower appendages right now.

Atta Girl's:

My three week Anni-nonsmoking-versary is tomorrow morning. I KNOW!!!!!

Unfuckingbelievable.

If you'da told me the day before I broke my foot that I'd kick the inhalation of cigarette smoke and be overall okay with it? . . . I don't even know how hard I would've laughed. I'm sure it would have been so loud and long that it'da registered on the Richter Scale for sure! Seriously. That was the last thing on my mind when I went to his office that morning. I'm going to be honest though. It hasn't been easy peasy overall. The first week was no problem, and that made it easy. The second week wasn't hard, but it wasn't 100% easy either. It was do-able and I did it. The third week, so far, has been the hardest. Last Sunday I felt like it was all I thought about, even though I KNOW it wasn't. The things that have gotten me through the cravings so far. . . when I don't smoke I don't have to hide the icky odor, or sneak-ass around, or ask other people to lie for me, or come up with lies myself, or worry if my car stinks to others, or be social yet a smoker, or figure out how to have a cigarette after a meal out with husband/friends, or or or. All the stigmatizing issues. There are non embarrassing reasons too! I don't have to deal with the crappy weather outside, or feeling non-energetic, or worrying about my overall health.

What I have to do still, is to find other substitutes for the regular triggers . . . long car rides alone, spicy foods, being bored, minimizing it's impact on my body, blahblahblahblabbityblah.

Here's the thing. I know I *can* do it. I need to find the tools that help me know why I *shouldn't* do it.


My foot "looks good", and "we (you, me and him I'm presuming) are right on track!"

Congratulations to You and Me! Him? He has staff and we don't, lol!

"We'll see you in 19 days". Nineteen days will be (according to his calculations and he's got some fancypants degree that probably proves he's good at The Mathsz as well as The Bonesz) the last day that I require these crutches and that Moon Boot.

For now, the next 19 days will be cigarette free. I promise that.

No comments: