Monday, January 7, 2008

Update on Ree's Pot Roast:


I'm happy to report that tonight's leftovers of the pot roast and taters were received ALOT better than last night's original offering.

Partly The Mike just couldn't enjoy the mashed potatoes since he couldn't figure out what, exactly, was different. He guessed sour cream or ranch dressing but I never told him until dinner was over.

A bigger part was the level of butter and fat/grease in the meal. Ree makes no bones about her love of the butter fer sher. It never occurred to me that my habit of cooking with 4% or less fat in my beef products for so long had really affected our tastebuds. That and I rarely cook using butter as a seasoning. In fact, I'm having a hard time coming up with a dish I make (outside of baking of course) that I use butter in at all . . .

Tonight's fare was without the stewed-in juices, hence without the grease from the roast and the butter from the seared vegetables. I'll definately make this dish again, but first I need a roasting pan . . . and then I need to figure out how to drain the fat before serving.

What did you all have for dinner tonight?? And don't be shy about posting your recipe! I need all the help I can get to keep my husband, the gourmand, sated.


I leave you with this:

Rock'n the 93449

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WooHoo! I'm headed for Pismo today for the week!!

I made some super easy crock pot spare ribs the other day....I'll email you the recipe..if you call it that.

Ellen Bloom said...

I picked up some frozen salmon at Trader Joe's, defrosted it and then dumped some Wishbone Italian Dressing on it. I baked it for about 25 minutes @ 350 degrees. I served it with rice (made in the electric rice cooker) and some steamed broccoli. It was divine and easy to cook!
Dessert: Fresh raspberries on top of a scoop of Haagen Das Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. Yum.

littledevilworks said...

You people are making me HUNGRY!