Thursday, January 3, 2008

The Land of Misfit Hyphens:

I ran across this tutorial on Project 365 and really liked what it said. Particularly:

#3 Vary Your Themes
Try to capture the day’s events in a single photo. Perform photographic experiments. Take a photo of someone new you meet, something you ate for the first time, or something you just learned how to do. Take a photo of something that made you smile. And don’t forget to take a photo of yourself at least once a month so you can remember how you’ve changed, too.

Taking a picture of myself at least once a month has been an idea I've kindasorta kicked around lately. 99.99% of the time I am the one taking pictures - of family, of events, of life - and rarely does my picture get taken.

#5 Don’t Stop, No Matter What
This is perhaps the most important tip of all. You will get tired of taking a photo every single day. Some days, you will consider giving up. Don’t. The end result is worth the effort. Remind yourself why you wanted to do it in first place.

If that sentiment isn't perfect for a non-smoking analogy, I dunno what is.



*******************************



This is the original picture I submitted for my Day 3 of the 365 project:





I'm just not a patient person. This shit has got to get done already. On the 10th I will find out a potential 'done' date and I can NOT wait!

Tonight we went grocery shopping for the 3rd time since I've been infirm. The first time, I used one of those motorized carts and overall it was do-able. That time I learned able-bodied people don't have a fucking CLUE, and I was most definately one of 'those' people. The second time, the cart was so incredibly slow as to be a detriment to shopping. The third time, tonight? Same slow-as-molasses cart. I didn't even bother with it. We went from one end of the grocery store to the other and did a 'major grocery buying' stint. Foods for several dinners at home . . . snack-assing-around stuff . . . staples and sundry items. $225 put in a cart, all the while on crutches. It took one hour and I was frigg'n exhausted at 45 minutes in.

But I did it. It's what I do. Wine was in that cart, so there was my carrot on the end of the shopping cart stick, lol!



*******************************

From the To-Do list:

We had dinner in tonight (leftovers, but still at home!)

I brown-bagged lunch today (leftovers from dinner out last night, but still brown-bagged!)

I blogged the Bass Club meeting notes from last night . . . LAST NIGHT! (Super Duper Yay!)

365 picturing happening on schedule.

We bought really good groceries tonight! Fresh fruits & vegetables, as well as the makings for healthy dinners at home. The snack-assery was all The Mike. My snack-assery was along the lines of string cheese and bananas. Just say'n. I also bought the eggs for #15.

#43 Learn a different cast-on method

I've been doing alot of research on toe-up socks, and I think I'm about (holds thumb and forefinger a smidge apart from each other) THIS CLOSE to implementing the Magic Cast On method as described in Knitty's Spring '06 issue. Yeah. I know. Spring. 2006. That's the very reason I will never ever throw out an old issue of VK or IK! Ya never know, people.

*******************************

That scrummy locally-grown baby alpaca I swatched (twice!) the other day?

Honest-to-Gawd and Hand-to-Heart, there is absolutely zero tactile difference between them. I really believe that if a person were to use any brand of conditioner or some mild shampoo they would have the same results. Between me you and the gatepost, I think the yarn itself just needed a good washing.

Size-wise they are different, but they *could* be the same size if I tried.

The finalized Falling Water F.O. will be posted when I can do it without crutches. I'm pretty excited to finally use my KnitPicks blocking wires after 10 months of ownership :blush:

*******************************

Y'all don't even know. Today I spent the last hour of my work day trying to obtain a few sandbags from my city. The city we pay our city taxes to (part of our sales tax) and the city that takes a cut of our property taxes.

What a fucking joke.

If our living room isn't completely flooded tomorrow, I'll tell you all about it. It's a funny story . . . if you aren't taxpayers in a Central-Valley-of-California ghetto podunk town. Seriously.

No comments: